Crested Butte Mountain Resort and the Forest Service on Snodgrass: It’s time to meet and talk

March 14th, 2011 Newsletter from J.C. Leacock Photograpy Gallery

Crested Butte Mountain Resort and the Forest Service on Snodgrass: It’s time to meet and talk

Looks likes it not over till it’s over.  Talks will resume soon regarding the proposed Snodrass Expansion.  Hopefully some ideas will come about that both sides can agree on.As an avid rock climber, hiker, scuba diver, mountain biker and snowboarder I’ve become quite a comfortable member of the Crested Butte Community. I feel I bring a strong energetic presence to the Benson Sotheby’s International Realty team and the Crested Butte Real Estate market in general having worked my way up to Benson Sotheby’s third highest producer.  In addition to my recreational adventures I love to travel having been to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, China and South Africa. My enthusiasm, hard work, and honesty will serve all of you to the fullest, helping each of you find the perfect investment and/or dream mountain home.
Cheers,
CoreyCorey Dwan
Benson Sotheby’s International Realty
970-596-3219 Cell
Corey.Dwan@SothebysRealty.com
www.CrestedButteForSale.com

Crested Butte Mountain Resort and the Forest Service on Snodgrass: It’s time to meet and talk

Written by Mark Reaman

Wednesday, 21 July 2010
The two sides will meet—eventuallyThe Snodgrass issue appears to be in wait-and-see mode. Both Crested Butte Mountain Resort (CBMR) and regional U.S. Forest Service officials agree there will be a meeting between the two, but no date has been set and the meeting isn’t likely to occur in any hurry.

U.S. Forest Service chief Tom Tidwell’s office last week upheld previous agency decisions to not allow lift served ski expansion onto Snodgrass, as proposed by CBMR. The original decision was made by Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forest (GMUG) supervisor Charlie Richmond last fall. The Tidwell ruling was the final administrative appeal on the matter and CBMR is now weighing its future options.
“The decision calls for Charlie to get to us and give us some potential options with Snodgrass. So we will give him good-faith time to get with us,” said CBMR president Tim Mueller. “We read chief Tidwell’s decision as we are obligated to wait on that.”
GMUG forest external affairs officer Lee Ann Loupe said Tuesday that Richmond was out of the office but they all anticipated having a sit-down meeting with CBMR officials, once the passion and emotion over the issue had subsided.
“Basically we plan to set up a meeting to open up some dialogue,” Loupe said. “We want to let things settle down a bit. As Charlie said last week, this is an issue that has stirred a lot of passion on both sides. We want everyone to have the chance to digest the Tidwell decision. That decision just came out last week and folks need to figure out where everyone is with the decision. I am sure we will sit down with Tim and Diane and talk about the future. I just don’t know when that will happen yet.”
Loupe said that if the Muellers feel an “urgent need” to open the dialogue sooner rather than later, they can call the Forest Service “but as time allows, we will move forward. We have some internal dialoguing to do over this as well,” Loupe said. “There is still a lot of passion and emotion associated with Snodgrass.”
Tim Mueller said they would respect the cool-down period and give Richmond a chance to formulate some options the ski area might consider with Snodgrass. “We are willing to listen to his ideas,” said Mueller.